The SCSU Reading Evaluation And Development of Skills (R.E.A.D.S.) Lab is supervised by a collaborative team of three researchers: Dr. Cheryl Durwin, Dr. Deborah Carroll, and Dr. Dina Moore. Our lab focuses on improving the reading skills of school-age children by evaluating children’s skills using theory-based and research-based reading and language assessments and implementing theory-based interventions targeted to the particular reading difficulties of individual children. In short, we investigate the efficacy of assessments and interventions while providing a free service to schools by training and supervising undergraduate research assistants who work directly with children at school sites.
Current Research Project:
- Improving Reading Comprehension in Urban Elementary School Children
- 2013-2014 school year: Helen Street School, Hamden; St. James School, Stratford
- 2014-2015 school year: Helen Street School, Hamden; St. James School, Stratford
- 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 school year: Church Street School, Hamden; St. James School, Stratford
Past Research Project:
- Investigating a Word-Families Flashcard Approach for Teaching Kindergarteners to Read